Friday, September 24, 2010

Month 4 - Business Finance - " Money, Money, Money"




"Business is not financial science, it's about trading.. buying and selling. It's about creating a product or service so good that people will pay for it."


Anita Roddick


Class Reflection

Business Finance was the most eye opening class that I took at Full Sail that really educated me about finance. For our leadership project, we were given an assignment where we have to interview someone in Financial Industry in order to learn more about finance and commercial banking. In doing the project I decided to interview Emilia Shakians, who is the Vice President/Branch Manager of the Wells Fargo at the Beverly/Fairfax branch in Los Angeles.

The interview with Mrs. Emilia Shakians was very educational and beneficial. In discussing about commercial banks with her, I learned about Wells Fargo’s products and services particularly in areas such as business financing, investments and services. In discussing with her about business financing, I learned the different kind of loans a bank offers and the different types of financing options that Wells Fargo has. In addition, the talk about investment vehicles that Mrs. Shakians discussed taught me about the different types of investments available to people and businesses. Furthermore, it also taught me the difference between them and how companies utilize these kinds of investments to fund their businesses. Also, the conversation about the different services that Wells Fargo provide in the bank and online taught me how banks are extending their services and providing consumers with options to cater to their financial needs. Through exploring the online website of Wells Fargo, I learned the different services they provide how it can benefit not only customers but businesses as well. All in all, the interview provided a clear view what commercial banks have to offer and their important role in personal and business financial ventures.

In doing the class and the leadership project, it has made me realize the importance of financial literacy and the various ways to get loans for a business. Moreover, the class gave me skill sets that will allow me to understand stocks and manage business money. In addition to that, the leadership project allowed me to get out my comfort zone in order to reach out and network with people in order to expand my horizon. Last but not least, the class thought me how to work smart with money.


Leadership 3

Lori McCreary and Morgan Freeman arriving at the Christmas Party.

The Morgan Freeman Christmas party I worked on and help organize for Revelation Entertainment was one of the most fun and interesting thing I did to display my leadership skills. The reason being is because of the fact that I got to help organize the event, attend it and meet a lot of industry people that can help me with my career.

In organizing this event, the assistants (Dani, Torin, and Phoebe), Kirk and I have been working on this for weeks in order to make it happen. During the month of November, we were calling different renters, asking for equipment rentals, sending out invitations to industry people, getting decorations, and caterers for the food. In addition to that, we were also preparing stuff for the premiere of Morgan’s film “Invictus.” In organizing the party we divided up the work and Kirk and I were in charge of sending out the invitation and confirming attendees, getting renting quotes for equipment, and getting decorations. It was a long process because of the fact that we were also doing our intern duties and sending out emails for invitations and confirming guests. However, as time went by things were coming together and eventually the event was finalized.

On the day of the event at Lori McCreary’s house, Kirk and I got to go to the event and met up with other interns who also helped out at the event. Hours before the event itself however, the assistants, interns and other workers were setting up the house and preparing it before the guests arrived. We were decorating, bringing in food, and setting up tents at Lori’s house, where the Christmas party took place. We finished just in time and during the event, Phoebe (one of Lori’s assistant), asked Kirk and I to kind of mingle, introduce people to each other, help out with anything the guests need and basically just have fun. During the party, I met a lot of people and talked to people from CAA, writers, directors, and other industry people. I was multi tasking a lot because I also had to make sure that things were orderly and help out the assistants too. It was a great evening because of the fact that I met people and network with people in the industry. In addition to that I got to meet a band called “Overtone” from South Africa who sang songs from the film “Invictus.” All in all, the event went really well and Lori, Morgan Freeman, and the assistants were all thankful for our help.

No comments:

Post a Comment